SECTION 1. Membership Classes. There shall be eight classes of Members as follows:
(a) REALTOR® Members. REALTOR® Members whether primary or secondary shall be:
(1) Individuals who, as sole proprietors, partners, branch office managers or corporate officers, are engaged actively in the real estate profession, including buying, selling, exchanging, renting or leasing, managing, appraising for others for compensation, counseling, building, developing or subdividing real estate, and who maintain or are associated with an established real estate office located within the State of Arizona, or a state contiguous thereto. All persons who are partners in a partnership, or all officers in a corporation who are actively engaged in the real estate profession within Arizona, or a state contiguous thereto shall qualify for REALTOR® Membership only, and each is required to hold REALTOR® Membership in a Board of REALTORS® within the state unless otherwise qualified for Institute Affiliate Membership as described in Section l(b) of Article IV.
In the case of a real estate firm, partnership, or corporation, whose business activity is substantially all commercial, only those principals actively engaged in the real estate business in connection with the same office, or any other offices within the jurisdiction of the Association in which one of the firm’s principals holds REALTOR® membership, shall be required to hold REALTOR® membership unless otherwise qualified for Institute Affiliate Membership as described in 1(b) of Article IV.
(2) Individuals who are engaged in the real estate profession other than as sole proprietors, partners, or corporate officers, or as individuals in positions of management control, and are associated with a REALTOR® Member and meet the qualifications set out in Article V.
(3) Primary and Secondary REALTOR® Members. An individual is a primary member if the Association pays state and national dues based on such Member. An individual is a secondary member if state and national dues are remitted through another Association/Board. One of the principals in a real estate firm must be a Designated REALTOR® member of the Association in order for licensees affiliated with the firm to select the Association as their “primary” Association/Board.
(4) Corporate officers (who may be licensed or unlicensed) of a real estate brokerage franchise organization with at least one hundred fifty (150) franchisees located within the United States, its insular possessions and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, elected to membership pursuant to the provisions in the NAR Constitution and Bylaws. Such individuals shall enjoy all of the rights, privileges and obligations of REALTOR® membership (including compliance with the Code of Ethics) except obligations related to Association mandated education, meeting attendance or indoctrination classes or other similar requirements; the right to use the term REALTOR® in connection with their franchise organization’s name; the right to hold elective office in the Phoenix Association, State Association and the National Association.
(6) Designated REALTOR® Members. Each firm shall designate in writing one REALTOR® Member who shall be responsible for all duties and obligations of Membership including the obligation to mediate and arbitrate pursuant to the Code of Ethics and the payment of Association dues as established in Article X of the Bylaws. The “Designated REALTOR®” must be a sole proprietor, partner, corporate officer or branch office manager acting on behalf of the firm’s principal(s) and must meet all other qualifications for REALTOR® Membership established in Article V, Section 2, of the Bylaws.
(b) Institute Affiliate Members. Institute Affiliate members shall be individuals who hold a professional designation awarded by an Institute, Society or Council affiliated with the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® that addresses a specialty area other than residential brokerage or individuals who otherwise hold a class of membership in such Institute, Society or Council that confers the right to hold office. Any such individual, if otherwise eligible, may elect to hold REALTOR® membership, subject to payment of applicable dues for such membership.
(c) Affiliate Members. Affiliate Members shall be real estate owners and other individuals or firms who, while not engaged in the real estate profession as defined in paragraphs (a) or (b) of this Section, have interests requiring information concerning real estate, and are in sympathy with the objectives of the Association.
(d) Public Service Members. Public Service Members shall be individuals who are interested in the real estate profession as employees of or affiliated with educational, public utility, governmental or other similar organizations, but are not engaged in the real estate profession on their own account or in association with an established real estate business.
(e) Secondary Members. Secondary Members shall be individuals who hold their primary membership in another Association which is a Member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® and desire to obtain the services afforded the Members of the Phoenix Association. The privileges of membership shall be the same including the right to vote.
(f) Honorary Members. Honorary Members shall be individuals not engaged in the real estate profession who have performed notable service for the real estate profession, for the Board, or for the public.
(g) Student Members. Student Members shall be individuals who are seeking an undergraduate or graduate degree with a specialization or major in real estate at institutions of higher learning, and who have completed at least two years of college and at least one college level course in real estate, but are not engaged in the real estate profession on their own account or not associated with an established real estate office.
(h) Lifetime Members. Any REALTOR® and/or REALTOR-ASSOCIATE® who has held membership for twenty-five (25) years or more continuously, or who has served as a member of the Professional Standards Committee for ten (10) or more years, may be granted a lifetime REALTOR® Membership upon application and approval of the Board of Directors. Maintaining Association Lifetime Membership shall be contingent upon maintaining membership in a state association and the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®.
(i) Appraiser Affiliate Members will be individuals who are not REALTORS®, but hold an Arizona Board of Appraisal Certified Residential or Certified General License and are engaged in appraising property for others for compensation, provided the applicant is engaged exclusively in a specialty of the real estate business other than brokerage of real property and has opted to not hold REALTOR® membership.
(j) Multiple Listing Service Only Members will be individuals who have a valid Arizona real estate broker’s license offer or accept compensation to and from other participants, and require only access to the Arizona Regional MLS (ARMLS) or a real estate licensee affiliated with an MLS Only Participant that requires only access to ARMLS. (See Article XVIII Section 3)
SECTION 2. Divisions. The Board of Directors possess the authority to create one or more membership divisions made up of Members of the Association and to alter or dissolve any such division at any time. Any of such divisions shall be for the purpose of serving the particular needs, requirements and interests of members who concentrate their professional efforts in particular specialties of real estate brokerage. Each such division shall submit its governing documents to the Board of Directors for ratification and shall make any changes required by the Board of Directors. With prior approval of the Board of Directors, any division may establish or revise policies with regard to division dues, application fees and other membership requirements. All divisions are ultimately responsible to and shall comply with these Bylaws and all policies, resolutions and directives of the Board of Directors of the Phoenix Association of REALTORS®. No division may act as an independent entity or obligate the Association for any indebtedness.